Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sewing day ladies to the rescue

I haven't blogged for ages! Between looking after Sadie, buying a new house and selling our old one, free time has been a bit scarce!

I thought I'd do a historical post today, and give an example of the extraordinary sewing powers of a couple of our members...

The day was Saturday, November 22nd, 2008. We were in Pt Lincoln for my wedding. My dress had been lovingly (and brilliantly) made by mum, Stacey's had been made by her mum (with equal amounts of love and brilliance). The third of my bridesmaids, Ruth, had her dress made in Scotland. It turns out her's was made with neither love nor brilliance. She had warned me that it was a 'little tight'. One hour before we were due to leave for the church, she put her dress on. It was WAY too tight, unwearable in fact. Turns out the dressmaker had used a knit pattern for a woven material, disastrous (and not a mistake our sewing day members would ever make!). My response - I'll go get mum.

Mum and Denise had brought their sewing kits in case of an emergency. In a flash the dress was off Ruth, the back was cut open, the wrap was hand sewn in (and even flared out at the bottom to match the rest of the hem), the seams were pressed and the dress was back onto a now smiling Ruth.

We made it to the church on time.

Here's Ruth in her dress (she's the one on the end)...



And the skillful last minute seamstresses showing off their handywork (note how wide the piece they added is, the dress REALLY did not fit at all until they fixed it)...


Where would we be without our sewing skills? Thanks for saving the day Beryl and Denise!

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment